|Dr. Eduardo Posada Flórez, a Colombian Physicist, is the Executive Director of COMSATS’ Centre of Excellence in Colombia, the International Centre for Physics (CIF) and the Chairperson of COMSATS’ Coordinating Council, comprising the Heads of Centres of Excellence.
Born in Bogotá, Colombia, in 1942, Dr. Posada completed his Bachelors in Physics (1966) from the University of Lausanne (Switzerland) and later, in 1972, received his Ph.D in Physics with honours.
Recognized as one of the fathers of Science, Technology and Innovation Policy in Colombia, Dr. Posada is the co-founder of CIF, where he has promoted several important projects in basic and applied research. Among its achievements to date include the steps taken in the creation of the interactive Museum of Science and Technology (known as Maloka), in Bogota, and the Science and Technology Act (Act 29 of 1990).
Dr. Posada is a Professor Emeritus at the National University of Colombia (1990). At the National University in Bogotá, he has served as the principal investigator of several projects founded by Colciencias (Administrative Department of Science, Technology and Innovation - Colombia), particularly in superconductivity and semiconductor physics. He also promoted several important institutions, like the Research Institute on Corrosion in Bucaramanga, the business incubator - Innovar, and several hi-tec industries. Some of his contributions in physics come from his research work on low temperatures, cryogenics and superconductivity that were undertaken in Colombia and in Europe.
Currently, Dr. Posada is the President of the Colombian Association for the Advancement of Science (ACAC), which is a promoter of the Colombian legislation for science and technology; the scientific fair ‘Expociencia’; and the popularization journal ‘Innovación y Ciencia’. He is the President of the Board of Directors of Maloka. Other centres for science, research and industry founded/co-founded by Dr. Posada include: Innovate Corporation (Business Incubator); Research Corporation for Corrosion; Liocol Ltd.; Holocol Ltd.; Tec-Laser SA; and Rexco Industries Ltd.
Dr. Posada has also been the Director of the Technical Physics Group (1975-1992)at the Research Laboratory in Coffee Chemistry of the National Federation of Coffee Growers. Besides his current full membership of Colombian Academy of Sciences, Dr. Posada has been the President of the Colombian Society of Physics(1984-1987); President of the Association for International Physics Center [ACIF] (1982-1987), and President of the Association Interscience (1993-1994).
He has also been an active member of various councils, boards and committees, including:
- International Scientific Council of the International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) at Trieste (1984-1988);
- Board of the Faculty of Science at the National University of Colombia (1989-1990);
- Committee on Support of Research of the National University of Colombia (1990-1991);
- Board of the National Development and Industrial Quality (1990-1992);
- Board of the Nuclear Affairs Institute (1991-1994);
- Board of the National Bank Foundation (1992-2003);
- Commission on Science, Education and Development (1993-1994);
- Board of Directors of the Corporation Innovation (1994);
- Board of National Basic Science Programme (1992-1994);
- Board of the Research Corporation for Corrosion (1995 - to date).
During the presidential term (1990-1994), the then President Cesar Gaviria made him a member of the Mission of Science, Education and Development, also called Wise Mission in 1993.
Other awards and honours given to Dr. Posada include:
- The National Science Prize ‘Alejandro Angel Escobar’ (1989);
- Scientific Merit Medal in Gold Category Colombian Science Foundation (2006);
- Researcher Emeritus of the Attorney General's Office (2011);
- Award for Exemplary Colombian (Science) (2013).
As an academician, Dr. Posada has directed more than 30 under-graduate and graduate theses.
Dr. Posada Flórez is married and a loving father of three children.